Liverpool City Council’s libraries have proudly provided educational resources, leisure-time reading entertainment and community gathering spaces for more than 60 years.
Liverpool City Library’s six branches, located at Carnes Hill, Casula, Green Valley, Liverpool CBD, Miller and Moorebank, provide members of the community with access to a world of information.
In addition to our collection of more than 350,000 books, and DVDs, newspapers, magazines and digital resources available for loan or use online, we provide a range of free workshops and events each week for children, adults, seniors and people from a culturally or linguistically diverse background.
Other services we provide include providing a home library service and regular access to a Justice of the Peace.
Membership is free for anyone living, studying or working in the Liverpool area.
To become a member for free, visit your local branch or join online. There is no minimum age to join, but anyone under 16 requires parental/guardian consent.
Liverpool’s Children’s Library was opened in Liverpool in 1956.
The meeting of the then Liverpool Municipal Council on 6 November 1956, recorded:
“The Children’s Library situated in temporary premises at the School of Arts was officially opened by His Worship the Mayor, Alderman F.E.J. Ryan at 4.30 p.m. on Friday 19th October 1956. The opening was attended by approximately eighty persons and afterwards visitors were entertained in the Council Chambers.”
The Council had employed a, “female Children’s Librarian at 950 pounds per annum” and two junior library assistants, while building rental was 10 pounds per week. Council’s Baths and Library Committee was formally advised the necessary funds were available.
An order for 2500 pounds of books was placed, with “arrangements... made for the books to be spray-lacquered by the Electricity Department.”
Council was informed: “No effort has been spared to ensure that this Service to the children of our Municipality will be successful in helping to inculcate the acquisition of a taste for good reading.”